A National Injury Law Firm


Hit and Run Car Accident

Consult a Cook County Car Accident Lawyer after a Hit and Run Accident

Statistics from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration show that the country’s number of hit and run fatalities have grown, even as the number of traffic accident fatalities has fallen. Hit and run accidents often create difficult problems for victims. When a driver flees the scene of an accident, the victim is left without the information needed to pursue compensation. While this is often a difficult, confusing situation for victims, it should not stop them from seeking the financial compensation they need to repair damaged vehicles and seek medical attention if necessary. If you have been injured in a hit and run accident and reside in Cook County, a car accident lawyer at our firm can evaluate your case at no cost and explore other avenues of compensation.

Types of Hit and Run Car Accidents

There are two major types of hit and run accidents. The ones that cause the most damage and put people in the most danger occur when a driver flees the scene after two moving vehicles collide. Hit and run accidents can occur when a driver flees the scene after striking a parked, unoccupied vehicle without leaving his or her contact information.

Both types of hit and run accidents can cause expensive damage. Accidents that involve multiple drivers, however, put more people at risk of injury or death.

Finding a Hit and Run Driver

Accident victims should not try to find hit and run drivers on their own. This is potentially dangerous. They can, however, collect information that helps local police find the driver. The most helpful information includes:

  • The make and model of the car that hit you
  • The car’s license plate number
  • The accident’s time and location

If your car was hit while parked, note the time, location and damage to the vehicle. Any of this information could make it easier for police to find the person who hit your car.

Pursuing Compensation after a Hit and Run Accident

In some states, drivers can use uninsured motorist insurance to pay for vehicle damage. Illinois, however, does not allow this. It is often possible, however, to get money from collision insurance. Personal injury protection and medical payment policies may cover medical expenses. Your insurance company, however, may deny the claim. When this happens, you can seek compensation through the court.

Going to court means that you will have to follow Illinois’s statutes of limitations. The statute of limitations for a personal injury is two years. The statute of limitations for damaged property, however, is five years. Ask your Cook County car accident lawyer whether it makes sense to pursue compensation through a personal injury or damaged property lawsuit.

Depending on the specifics of your case, you may need to name several defendants, including your insurance company and, if possible, the insurance company of the driver who fled. Your case also may name the driver as a defendant.

Hit and run car accidents are fairly common, but they create situations that can make it difficult for victims to get the compensation they need for medical treatments, lost wages, and property damage. Contact Buttafuoco & Associates to learn more about your options. An experienced attorney will help you decide how to secure the compensation you deserve.