A Cook County Product Liability Lawyer Protects Your Rights
When a product is defective or malfunctions and causes a consumer harm, the victim may have just cause to file a product liability lawsuit against the responsible party. Sometimes, the fault lies with the manufacturer, but it also can lie with any party along the supply chain, including distributors and retailers. If you have reason to believe that a person or company is responsible for the injury(ies) you acquired while using a defective product, you can request a no-cost, no-obligation consultation with a Cook County product liability lawyer at Buttafuoco & Associates.
Product liability is a complicated area of personal injury law with specific timelines and procedures that must be followed. Call 1-800-NOW-HURT today for guidance.
Common Types of Product Liability Cases
Our legal team has handled numerous types of product liability cases over the past three decades. Some of the injuries have been attributed to products or parts that are defective or poorly designed and under recall while others have resulted from products that didn’t include proper instructions or warnings. Below are some of the most common types of product liability cases we handle.
- Defective vehicles (e.g., faulty tires, seat belt failures, defective airbags, rollover accidents, defective brakes)
- Defective medical devices (e.g., defective prosthetics, transvaginal mesh, IUDs)
- Defective tools, equipment and machinery
- Defective toys, playground equipment and baby items
- Contaminated foods
- Dangerous and defective drugs
- Defective firearms
Proving a Product Liability Claim
Manufacturers have a duty of care to consumers to put only relatively safe products on the market, warn adequately of potential dangers, include proper instructions, and recall and remedy any defective products as soon as the defect is made known. If they fail to uphold their duty and someone is injured as a result, then the victim can hold the manufacturer responsible for their damages.
To substantiate your case, you’ll need to be able to prove the following.
- There was a manufacturing error, and the product was defective, such as during the manufacturing process or had a defective design.
- The product was unreasonably dangerous.
- You were not warned about the hazard.
- You were injured as a result of the defective product.
- You used the product as intended
You will need to present adequate evidence to support your claim. Having the actual product on hand is helpful, as are photos of your injury and witness testimonies. You will want to start collecting any information you can that pertain to your accident/injury so that you can share the info with your lawyer.
You can get compensated for your losses.
If you do have a valid product liability suit worth pursuing, you may be able to recover a wide range of damages, including the following.
- Emergency room bills
- Hospital and doctor bills
- Current and future treatments
- Transportation costs for your medical appointments
- Disability, disfigurement and scarring
- Lost wages and loss of promotion
- Loss of benefits
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional damages and mental anguish
- Death benefits (if your loved one died because of a defective product)
If your injury is debilitating and you are expected not to return to work for some time, it will usually take a forensic economist to help calculate the total cost of your case. It’s important to take the time to have your case accurately assessed because you don’t want to agree to a settlement that doesn’t fully cover your losses. You are welcome to consult one of our product liability lawyers to establish a good estimate of how much your claim is worth.
FREE Consultation with a Cook County Product Liability Lawyer
For a free consultation with a Cook County product liability lawyer, you are invited to call Buttafuoco & Associates. Call us today at 1-800-NOW-HURT for a case evaluation or fill out our online contact form.